We were recently in Phuket so I thought I’d share my top 10 things to do in Phuket. I emphasize “my” because this is by no means comprehensive. Our idea of a beach vacation is a budget hotel with hot water, soft bed, free breakfast, easy access to the beach, a pool, cheap Thai food and the occasional nice meal nearby. At the bottom of this post is a map with all these locations.
1. Kata Beach – This is our favorite beach. Good waves to boogy board on and much quieter than Patong. Finding “normal” priced Thai food is difficult near the beach. I put a restaurant on the map near this beach that will make you Thai food for 60-80b if you can speak a little Thai. It almost never fails to ask a small restaurant for the “I’m not a foreign tourist, I live in Thailand” price.
2. Karon Beach – This is our 2nd favorite beach. It’s also quiet.
3. Karon Viewpoint – This is a fantastic spot for pictures of Kata and Karon Beaches.
4. Phromthep Cape – Everyone goes here for sunsets. It’s also a good place to see a rainy season storm roll in.
5. Khao Kad Viewpoint – On the SE end of the island this gives you a nice 360 degree view.
6. Rawai Beach & Pier – This isn’t much of a beach but it’s a great place to go eat reasonably priced Thai food under the shade of big trees with an ocean breeze.
7. Patong Beach – Take away the mafia, the trash and the tourists and this might be the best beach. We always visit Patong when we visit Phuket but only for very brief periods of street shopping and Western chain food. I would never stay on this beach. If you enjoy night life, sure. But it’s not a family environment. I’ve had katoeys pinch me and been offered drugs several times while holding a baby. A baby for crying out loud!!!
8. Naiyang Beach – It isn’t the best beach and we don’t stay near here but it’s a very quiet beach that we occasionally visit.
10. Central Festival Phuket – I know its just a mall but when we stay for a week we always like to visit the mall to catch a movie or two. Well, before we a baby of course… Go here for movie times.
For far more information on Phuket be sure to check out Jamie’s blog here.
Download the Phuket Map for Google Earth.
View My Phuket Top 10 in a larger map